Thursday, June 4, 2009

no.6



Acceptance.
Not so long ago I started meditating or in other words praying every night. I dont pray to a particular G-d, so that's why I call it meditating because it is more of a personal meditative practice.
Someone, who was very influential in my life taught me the 'serenity prayer' which is a prayer commonly associated with recovering addicts. It goes like this:
"Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference."
For me, the hardest struggle I face is learning to accept people for exactly who they are. The biggest gripe we have with others is when we want to change them so the best lesson is to start focusing on the fact that we cant control them, we can rather accept them and get on with the joy of really living with acceptance. The other part of this prayer that I love is about courage. Sometimes when I think about courage I think of the Lion in the 'Wizard of Oz'and how he is on the search for courage. I am literally, digging for courage everyday, courage to walk away from the things that are bad for me, the things that are unhealthy to my soul. Though we cannot change, nor control others, we can manifest change within ourselves and it takes courage. I do not have enough courage, but I am working on it.We can keep asking ourselves why the same mistakes keep happening, why we can't let go of a certain something...but we can, we just need to find the courage to let these things go and induce change.
This is getting preachy, so i'm going to go now. heheh
I'll just leave with one thought: if we never allowed ourselves the capacity to change and face ourselves then we would never really grow. if we keep forcing others to change we are just trying to control them, whether in work, love or friendship relationships...and in life, it may be hard to see but we can't control anything, nobody has the answers...all we can do is be the best versions of ourselves that we know how and that takes work every single day and thats why I say this prayer everynight,...to remind myself and be grateful.
x x peace x x

1 comment:

The said...

I am really impressed. I don't think you have realized the profound wisdom in your words. If you are able to understand this at such a tender age I feel that you will continue to ponder even more deeply into the questions that plague mankind. A revelation like the one you have just had or managed to jot down on a blog does not come to the majority of people until they are 40 or sometimes not at all. Even then, it is very easy to fall back into old patterns of thought. Take care and keep thinking.